Thursday, March 29, 2007

March 29, 2007 - the battle begins

Today at 1:00 pm, Keira Grace goes goes in for her first round of chemo. We feel like this is a turning point. The tests are over; the war begins. We have seen in our little girl a strength that defies her age, that defies her little body, that is going, with God's help, to defy this cancer. She has been poked and prodded, put to sleep, had a foreign object put into her chest, has gone without eating mutiple times for way too many hours, been in a hospital waiting room as much as her own home, but she still has a smile on her face, she still yells at the top of her lungs, "Duck!" -- she is not giving in and neither are we.

Less than an hour ago, my students and so many other high school students at Trinity Christian Academy presented Keira with a gift - 130 stuffed ducks! It was beautiful. For the last week, students have been bringing in ducks and hiding them in the dean's office. The dean has kept her door shut for the last week, cracking it open to allow the students to drop off the ducks and quickly closing it again to make sure I did not see. Now, her office is not that large, and some of those ducks are . . . that office got a little crowded (I would not be surprised if she began having nightmares about large, yellow stuffed ducks).

Please continue to lift our daughter up in your prayers, especially today as she begins chemo. Pray that the tumor will respond and be completely eradicated. Pray that Keira's strength will remain and she will continue to love life as she does now. We love you. We thank you. We still desperately need you. Jason, Erin & Keira

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have it. We love you guys. Our prayers are with you during this battle. Our Lord is victorious!

Anonymous said...

Okay, this made me smile!!!

Love you guys!
Rebecca Jones

Anonymous said...

Dear Jason, Erin & Keira,
My son, an SDSM&T IE grad, shared your blog with me today. My heart goes out to you all. The power of prayer is amazing and blogs like this must be a saving grace to parents like you. I have a coworker whose grandson, Kellen, was born with hypoplastic left heart syndrome....half a heart. They have a website on CarePages that gives them strength & encouragement. Kellen has had several surgeries and another major one to be done this summer. He is 1 1/2 now and smiling all the time. God is Good! You and your precious Keira will be in my prayers.
Gwen - South Dakota

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that you are in our thoughts and we pray for your sweet baby girl every night.

Clay, Cortney and Abby Sanders

Hillary said...

I'm so glad you guys liked the ducks and I really hope Keira is getting to enjoy them!
My family is praying for you as am I, she's an awesome baby, and in my opinion, a tough one!
Let me know in class if you need anything this week!

About Me

At the age of 10 months, Keira was diagnosed with stage IV neuroblastoma. She has completed 4 rounds of chemotherapy and 2 surgeries. She has had a wonderful response to therapy and now has only a small mass left in her chest.

3/9/2008 - Celebrating one year from diagnosis

Stylin at the Easter Egg Hunt!

2 years and I still love cake!

First trip to the zoo - a great reward after a long day at Childrens!

- and I even got to hold a bird!

I see how long it's taking mommy to get through - I'd better get started now!

PIGTAILS!

First day of school with best friend Ellie

How am I going to stick this landing?

The Fam

Keira's first cake

Laughter

Before

Before

Daddy & Me

Daddy & Me
Before