Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

In honor of Mother's Day, I thought it fitting that mom wrote an entry for a change. Keira continues to amaze us with how well she is doing. She is maybe a little tired, but other than that, this round has been much easier on her than the last. She continues to be curious and playful. She is a big fan of music, and today she spent about 30 minutes learning how to work the CD player. She can now put her favorite CD in and press play. This girl knows how to get what she wants!

On Wednesday, her oncologists took a urine sample to run some tests. At the beginning of all this, they ran urine catecholamines. This is the test that they used to initially confirm the diagnosis of neuroblastoma. There are two parts to this: VMA and HVA. These have now changed

Before her treatment (3/9): VMA - 232.8 HVA - 61.7
After some treatment (5/9): VMA - 47.1 HVA - 23.7 .

Her VMA is still elevated, but her HVA has returned to normal.

What does this mean? We're not sure because there are mixed opinions about following these numbers during treatment. However, Jason and I, and Keira's oncologists are taking this as positive news. This indicates that the chemo is doing something. We still have to wait until mid-June to do more scans and see exactly how much the chemo has done, but these results were encouraging to us, and make the remaining wait time a little easier.

On a personal note, I have received many cards for Mother's Day with encouraging messages and wishes for a wonderful day. To all of you - Thank you. This has truly been a wonderful Mother's Day. I spent the day with a precious adorable little girl who seems to think I'm wonderful. When I became a parent, I developed this fear that something would happen to my daughter. I have had to face that fear in a way I never wanted to and would change in a heartbeat if I could. In the midst of this though, I have received a tremendous gift. I cherish every day that I have with Keira. I take special moments - every day - to sit with her and read a book, or learn that flowers are fun to smell. I took these moments for granted before, and I don't think I ever will again. Each day we have with her is a gift, and we hope and believe that there will be many more, but each one will have so much more meaning than it could have. We count each day as a blessing.

Happy Mother's Day
Jason, Erin and Keira Grace

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So thankful for the way Keira is handling her treatments. What a blessing that she is in good spirits and even standing up on her own! Glad to read that your Mother's Day was a precious one with time spent with sweet little Keira. Please know that Brian and I continue to keep you all in our prayers - asking our Lord to continue to send comfort, encouragement, GOOD NEWS!, and many, many joyful moments with your sweet baby girl.

Love,
Michelle

EmilyAnne said...

The video of Keira laughing is hilarious! She's like a little alarm! What a sweet girl she is and what an incomparably huge joy she must be for you!

About Me

At the age of 10 months, Keira was diagnosed with stage IV neuroblastoma. She has completed 4 rounds of chemotherapy and 2 surgeries. She has had a wonderful response to therapy and now has only a small mass left in her chest.

3/9/2008 - Celebrating one year from diagnosis

Stylin at the Easter Egg Hunt!

2 years and I still love cake!

First trip to the zoo - a great reward after a long day at Childrens!

- and I even got to hold a bird!

I see how long it's taking mommy to get through - I'd better get started now!

PIGTAILS!

First day of school with best friend Ellie

How am I going to stick this landing?

The Fam

Keira's first cake

Laughter

Before

Before

Daddy & Me

Daddy & Me
Before